The purpose of the game
SSiW is very good at getting people speaking, but most learners need extra practice in listening before they are comfortable conversing in Welsh. This game will also help you to read Welsh. Welsh is much easier to read than English because everything is spelled phonetically. Once you know how to pronounce the letters, reading is easy! You might not be able to understand everything, of course, but that will come with more exposure to the language.
How the game is played
The game will be played during a hangout. A day or two before the hangout, Margaret will upload a short piece of text to the Slack forum in PDF format. Here's what you need to do to prepare for the bingo session:
1. Look through the text and pick out 9 words or short phrases that you would like to learn. These might be new words or phrases that you might use in a conversation or words that you've met before but they haven't stuck in your memory.
2. You can either make word cards or you can make a list. If you want to make cards, simply cut 9 suitably sized pieces of paper or card and write a single word or phrase on each one.
If you prefer to make a list, we'll be playing the game more than once so you need to find a way of recording which words have come up in each game. I suggest making columns, like this.
|Word or phrase||Game 1||Game 2||Game 3||Game 4|
3. When people have joined the hangout, the "caller" will read through the whole piece once in Welsh and also offer a quick translation, just to familiarise everyone with it.
4. The game will now start. The caller will read sentences from the text in random order! Listen carefully and try to spot one of your words or phrases.
5. When you hear one of your words, repeat it aloud. If it's a card, put it to one side. If you're keeping a list, tick off the word.
6. After a while, if no one has found all their words, the caller will start at the beginning of the text and read through in order.
7. The game continues with everyone listening and repeating words aloud until someone has spotted all their words, at which point they shout, "Tŷ!" They are the winner and the game ends.
8. There are no prizes, other than improving your listening skills!
On the initial read through, you might like to look at the text to see how words are pronounced.However, when listening out for your words, don't try to read the text. Just listen to the person reading. This will help to improve your listening skills.
I hope you enjoy the game. Afterwards, if there is time and people want to carry on chatting, we can discuss the piece of text and any points arising from it. You are welcome to ask any questions about pronunciation etc.